Oak Cliff Empowered, Inc., the nonprofit arm of the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce, launches Oak Cliff Works, a Workforce Training Program focused on under-served populations in the southern sector of Dallas
DALLAS – September 2017– Oak Cliff Empowered, Inc., the nonprofit arm of the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce, announced the launch of Oak Cliff Works, a workforce training program focused on historically under-served populations in the southern sector. “Oak Cliff Works will serve populations deserted by pathways to middle-skills job training, traditional apprenticeship programs, and career pathways. It’s a desperate situation that calls for strong action. We realized there needed to be more focused efforts on connecting workers with the job training programs they need to bridge their middle skills gap, thus opening career pathways previously unavailable to them,” said Kiyundra Gulley, president of Oak Cliff Empowered, Inc. and the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce.
Oak Cliff Works’ collaborative partners are:
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center
- Dallas County Community College District
- For Oak Cliff
- Neighbor Up Dallas
Oak Cliff Works features a custom-designed workforce training program focused on the high-growth healthcare industry. The Patient Care Technician (PCT) training program will be offered on-site at Methodist Dallas Medical Center, one of the largest employers south of I-30. Upon successful completion of certain requirements, participants become eligible for employment with Methodist Health System. The program culminates with a nationally recognized PCT certification.
In addition to the technical training, this unique program includes customized work readiness training. “For this target population work readiness training is critical to their success in the work environment. Basic workforce preparation topics include computer skills, communication skills, conflict management, and customer service,” said Ms. Gulley.
Initial funding has been provided by Communities Foundation of Texas, United Way, Commit, and Methodist Dallas Medical Center.
In summary, Oak Cliff Works will offer to the southern sector community:
- Boots-on-the-ground, face-to face outreach efforts to an under-served population
- Comprehensive assessment efforts to maximize chances for success
- Wrap-around services focused on the whole family to address barriers to success including childcare, transportation, workplace familiarity, tuition costs, and case management to encourage retention
- A custom-designed program Patient Care Technician (PCT) training program provided on-site at Methodist Dallas Medical Center
NBC5 recently did a feature on this new program that aired 9/20/17. View it here.